Insurers fear that come October 2008 there will be a shortage of accredited energy assessors for commercial properties. From October 2008 it will be a requirement of European Union’s Energy Performance Directive (EPBD) that all commercial buildings in the United Kingdom have an Energy Performance Certificate when they are constructed, sold or let.

Energy Assessment of Commercial Buildings:

Energy Assessment of Commercial Buildings requires a different approach to the production of residential EPCs. The energy certificate also requires the calculation of a carbon index for the commercial or industrial building.

Commercial property is more complex in design and construction than domestic property and Commercial Energy Assessors will require EPC software specifically designed for the task.

Further training for domestic energy assessors (DEAs) is most likely as different standards apply for the energy assessment of commercial and industrial buildings, assessments can only be carried out by “non-domestic energy assessors” or a Commercial Buildings Energy Assessor (CEA). Currently Training Providers are limited for Energy Assessors seeking a course in Commercial Property Energy Assessment. As such, qualifications based on the new Occupational Standards are not yet available, however the developers have worked closely with the UK Government for the standards to be adopted.

Property Types:

“New Build” Residential
Energy Ratings for “New Build” dwellings will require an EPC using the SAP energy rating system.

New and Existing Commercial and Industrial Structures
Commercial and Industrial units (New Build and Existing Structures), will adopt the SBEM (Simplified Building Energy Model) method. SBEM is a computer software based model to establish energy ratings for the production of energy performance certificates. For extremely large complex structures a system known as DSM (Dynamic Simulation Model) has been developed.

Public Buildings
For public buildings a DEC – Display Energy Certificate must be obtained, in addition, for all buildings subject to rental, or lease, Air Conditioning Inspection is required and a survey of boiler and heating controls undertaken by qualified engineers for the completion of an advisory report.

Different Methods of Commercial Buildings Energy Assessment:

There are basically 3 methods of energy assessment:

SAP – Standard Assessment Procedure Calculations
SBEM – Simplified Building Energy Model
DSM – Dynamic Simulation Model